Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Family Tradition

I am not talking about the lyrics to the famous Hank Williams Jr. song (altough it is a great song)!  I am talking about the tradition of great cooks in my family!  My mom, aunts, sisters, and now I married into a  family of great cooks!  I am not saying that I am not a good cook, I can cook and bake, but not to the standard of the above mentioned.  My family tree is quite diverse, part Slovenian (dad), other part German (mom), so you can imagine the fabulous recipes that have been handed down over the generations!  Some of my favorites are kolache (pastry cookie filled w/ jam), strudel (my sis makes this as a part time business), and my MOST FAVORITE: CREPES!!!!  Crepes are a paper thin pancake that can be filled with almost anything you can dream of, or, just syrup!!!  Crepes are a family breakfast tradition!  Everyone in my family makes them, even a small cafe' in Vegas, that Justin and I just LOVE when we visit!  Last weekend my mom made a batch for Justin and I when we were home,  and they were soooo fab!  J and I decided to make them for breakfast this morning.... they sound easy....but they are NOT!  The key is to have a great spatula, small frying pan, and the dough has to almost be runny!  Our first couple of tries were not lovely, but once we got the hang of it, we ended up having a delicious brunch for two!

                                The first attempt of turning the crepe......


                                                  Looking better

                                                 Finished Product!

I like to fill my crepes with chopped pecans or walnuts, roll up, and drizzle with syrup!  Some other good fillings are cottage cheese and cream cheese mixed, top with fresh berries!!! YUM!
So, I have mastered 1 out of 3 of my favorite traditional family recipes!  I have a long way to go still....
Here is the crepe recipe, if you would like to give it a whirl, you won't be sorry!

1 c. flour         1 1/2 c. milk
2 eggs             1 tbsp. oil
3 tbsp. sugar

Whisk ingredients together till all incoporated! 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment